During the 2020 fall semester, the Dairy Innovation Hub will partner with Hyper Innovation and to host a Student Challenge to harness the creativity of UW System undergraduate students to discover novel solutions for the dairy community.
The Challenge will rely on industry advisors to define problems and create opportunities for students to generate novel solutions addressing the most pressing issues facing Wisconsin dairy, including those identified by the state’s Dairy Task Force 2.0. Through online hack-a-thons, students working in teams will generate ideas and assess viability of potential solutions before building proofs of concept. Professional experts will work with student teams throughout the Challenge to ensure desirability and feasibility of the solutions.
Students with the best solutions will receive cash prizes.
The Dairy Innovation Hub Student Challenge is open to undergraduate students at UW-Madison, UW-Platteville and UW- River Falls. All Challenge activities will be hosted virtually to follow public health guidelines.
Dairy professionals interested in mentoring students: Sign up to serve as a student mentor during the Challenge.
Examples of potential challenges linked to Dairy Task Force 2.0 recommendations and Dairy Innovation Hub priorities: Mindful of solutions that will mitigate negative environmental impacts, please consider solutions to the following:
- Develop storage, distribution or other tools to enhance the shelf-life of Wisconsin dairy products, thereby opening more export markets
- Develop services, products or enabling technologies to encourage dairy product consumption by Wisconsin students
- Develop cost-effective, efficient, network technologies to ensure Wisconsin dairy farms underserved by broadband have the ability to utilize IOT technologies despite poor quality connectivity
Learn more about the dairy community
- Consolidation in U.S. Dairy Farming, a report summary from the USDA Economic Research Service (July 2020)
- Dairy Facts from the Dairy Farmers of America
- Wisconsin Farm and Dairy Statistics from wisconsincheese.com
- Dairy industry adapting to shifts in consumer demand, Farm Week Now (July 17, 2020)