Developed by the CALS Office of External Relations
We can support public health efforts by ensuring our communications reinforce and normalize healthy behaviors. This is particularly true of the images we share and promote. When posting a new photo through your unit’s channels (social media, newsletters, websites, etc.), please make sure the image reflects up-to-date health and safety protocols:
At the time of this update, people are not required to wear face coverings on campus lands per March 12, 2022 changes to campus policies. Please review the Chancellor’s announcement for more details and a few exceptions.
- There may sometimes be a need to use an older photo that doesn’t reflect current safety precautions (i.e., photos taken during a period of stricter masking policies, or photos of an annual event being held virtually instead of in-person). In these cases, provide context. Explain that the photo was taken before current health and safety protocols were in place. This can be done in a photo caption, accompanying text, or any other way that makes the photo more understandable to the reader.
- If you are involved in a photo shoot for internal or external media, be vigilant about ensuring all individuals present follow all currently applicable health and safety protocols. If needed, masks can be ordered through the current PPE ordering process.
- Headshots (studio-style, head and shoulders portraits) will continue to be an important communication tool. We will continue including these photos of individuals without face coverings on websites, in press releases, etc. CALS External Relations has periodically offered free portrait photo sessions. We will promote any future sessions through eCALS.
- Slightly reduced photo quality is an acceptable tradeoff when it is necessary to minimize interactions to keep ourselves and others healthy. These images should still reflect up-to-date safety protocols or have context provided (see above).
- General reminder for all photos: Approval by the copyright holder is still required to use or distribute their photos.
- The CALS Office of External Relations team is following the above guidelines for all photos that will be shared through CALS channels. This includes office-generated photos and photo submissions from other units and individuals.
- For further information on general university photo guidelines, see: https://policy.wisc.edu/library/UW-203