Study Abroad Advising

CALS Study Abroad collaborates with CALS academic departments to provide you with the most relevant advice as you plan for a study abroad experience. We work to create resources, such as Major Advising Pages (MAPs), to guide your exploration of studying abroad. MAPs suggest times for students in your major or certificate to study abroad, questions to ask your advisors, and provide a list of recommended programs based on your major or certificate. The program list is not exhaustive, but can give you a place to begin your search.

CALS Study Abroad has completed several MAPs and is currently working to finalize additional MAPs. To see if a MAP has been developed for your major or certificate, visit Major Advising Pages (MAPs) Study Abroad.

Meet our Team and Schedule and Appointment

In order to support you as you explore studying abroad, CALS Study Abroad is offering both virtual and in-person appointments with our Study Abroad Advisors.

When not working virtually, our office is located in the Office of Academic Affairs, Room 116 Agricultural Hall (1450 Linden Drive).

By scheduling an appointment through Starfish in your MyUW, a CALS Study Abroad Advisor can:

  • answer questions about programs of interest (programs designed specifically for CALS students can be found here)
  • discuss identity-related concerns while abroad
  • discuss financial, personal, and academic concerns
  • advise you on application procedures for specific programs
  • help incorporate study abroad into your academic and/or career plans based on your CALS major (see which advisors supports students from which majors below)

Rebecca Johnson
Study Abroad Advisor
Phone: 608.890.0978
Major-specific study abroad advising: Agricultural & Applied Economics, Agricultural Business Management, Animal Sciences, Biochemistry (CALS), Biological Systems Engineering, Dairy Science, Entomology, Forest Science, Genetics and Genomics, Global Health, Life Sciences Communication, Microbiology Plant Pathology, and Wildlife Ecology.

Kim Kroeger
Study Abroad Advisor
Phone: 608.265.5759
Major-specific study abroad advising: Agronomy, Biology (CALS), Community and Environmental Sociology, Environmental Sciences, Food Science, Global Health, Horticulture, Nutritional Sciences, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Soil Science.

Brett Schieve
Director of CALS Study Abroad
Phone: 608.890.4196

Office of Academic Affairs

116 Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Office Hours: 7:45am – 4:30pm

For current & prospective student general inquiries:
Phone: 608.262.3003